Do you want to keep thieves or unwelcome guests away from your files? Then you need to explore the best USB fingerprint reader available on the market today. First things first, let’s understand what a USB fingerprint reader means. It is simply a biometric security device.
In most cases, these devices connect through USBs. That makes them ideal for use on any modern device. But you will notice that some laptops don’t have a fingerprint reader installed. In that case, the USB fingerprint reader windows 10 comes in handy. Instead of buying another computer, you can opt to use fingerprint readers.
We are going to discuss more details about the best USB fingerprint reader. We will highlight the features, pros, and cons details. Also, a buying guide for you to follow when buying a fingerprint reader. On our FAQs, we will answer them for your perusal. In a nutshell, we will look at everything you need to know about a fingerprint reader.
Our Favorite USB Fingerprint Reader
1. Digital Persona U.are.U 4500HD Optical Fingerprint Scanner without software
It was designed for businesses that require high durability from the best USB fingerprint reader yet need a high degree of accuracy. When you use a fingerprint scanner in a shared environment, it is exposed to extreme outright vandalism. That could break the device. Digital Persona fingerprint reader has a tough coating that doesn’t get affected by physical or chemical abuse.
- Size; It fits nicely on a desktop, thus saving space. It is also capable of working in very tough or moist environments.
- LED Lights; the blue LED lights are super cool. Soft, glowing is all you can see while using them. Despite its lighting ability, it doesn’t compromise your lighting methods in places of work. For example, in healthcare and restaurants where they light all day, 4500HD doesn’t compete.
- Accuracy; Its fingerprints are not tough to read. While using 4500HD, it becomes easy. That is because it has a super coating that can withstand physical and chemical abuse. And by that, it doesn’t compromise your fingerprints; it takes them accurately.
- Extra coating and undercoating; the additional layer helps when you use it in those shared places. As for the undercoating, it allows it to stay stagnant. No different movements experienced while using it.
- Images; it produces high-clear photos.
- Easy to use
- It produces high-quality images
- It doesn’t have software.
2. Mini USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows 7,8 & 10 Hello
The USB fingerprint reader is the top and one of the best USB fingerprint readers. It can read your fingerprints within 0.15 seconds. It will give you instant, accurate results and very fast. So with the USB fingerprint reader windows, hello, the results are fantastic.
- Compatibility; its design is to fit on Windows 7, 8, and 10 Hello. It saves passwords, so you don’t have to remember them while using Mini USB Fingerprint Reader. It will keep all your data and avail them whenever needed. That makes it super-fast, especially when dealing with work that has deadlines.
- Sharp recognition; the strong or sensitive recognition feature is much alive. It recognizes all fingerprints from any degree. You may call it a 360-degree reader. It is certified by FIDO. In case of any forgery, it can’t detect fingerprints that are not registered. That means all your personal or business details are kept safe in your fingerprints.
- Fingerprint IDs; it recognizes around ten fingerprint IDs. That makes it ideal for use, even in a family setup. If you are using it for business, even your partners can have access to your documents. They need to register their fingerprints, and off it is set.
- Safe; it is hard for anyone to duplicate Mini USB Fingerprint Reader. The breath-in-sensing ability makes it hard to do so. Also, it has a precision algorithm that makes duplication impossible. So when you lock your documents, know that unless someone has access, your documents are safe.
- This is fast
- It’s save
- It is convenient
- It is durable
- At times it fails to recognize fingerprints
3. Kensington VeriMark USB Fingerprint Key Reader
The advanced Kensington VeriMark has superior fingerprint technology. That makes it fantastic in combining several features. It is 360 degrees, meaning it can be used from all angles. Further, it has anti-spoofing protection allowing a person to recognize fake addresses.
- Space; Verimark fingerprint fits in limited spaces because it is compact. It is portable; thus, you can move it freely.
- Compatibility; It works on any PC that makes it versatile. It is suitable for all users of Surface Pro 7/7+/6/5/4. If you have Windows 7, 8, and 10, download the latest drivers from the Kensington website.
- FIDO U2F Certified; It can protect your passwords. For example, Facebook, Google, or Github passwords can be saved using VeriMark fingerprint.
- Multiple users; It allows up to ten fingerprints. There is no need to remember passwords and usernames. Once you log in and save all those details, you don’t need to cram them. Windows 10 users can download the latest drivers from the Kensington website. From there, they can follow instructions.
- Protection from theft; theft incidences are minimized because biometric data is stored. That helps in preventing unnecessary logins. The biometric information is all digitally signed. It supports tools like Dashlane, RoboForm, etc., which allows fingerprints to fill in passwords automatically in password management. It’s a sure USB biometric fingerprint reader you can trust.
- Multiple users can use it
- Easy to use
- It saves space
- It is fast
- It is not compatible with Macs and Chromebooks
4. ARCANITE USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows 10 Hello
It is a perfect fingerprint reader that is designed for Windows 10. However, Windows 10 must-have hello features for it to be functional. It is fast, and within no time, it recognizes your fingerprint.
- Multiple languages; it uses various languages. That makes it useful for people who don’t mainly use English. The good thing is that the language is detected once you plug and play. From there, you can set the language you want.
- 360 degrees; whenever you are using it is very easy. It means it can rotate at all angles, (360).
- Protection; while using Arcanite USB Fingerprint Reader, protection is a major function. It has advanced protection with state-of-the-art fingerprint security. That allows you to save your data and logins without compromising them.
- Lighting; That’s where it beats most fingerprint readers by lighting fast. You only wait for 0.05 seconds, and your reader is ready for use. So if you are in a hurry, you are sorted.
- Lights up fast
- Easy to use
- Login is safe, secure, and fast
- There are challenges when working with older computers
5. USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows 10 Hello
It is another fantastic fingerprint reader with a fast login ability. It is convenient for people who don’t like to log in with password details. Anyone can use this one of the best USB fingerprint readers, but this is ideal for you if you love fast, secure logins. With only 0.05 seconds, everything is ready. It is made for Windows 10 that has Hello features.
- Money-back guarantee; when a product has a money-back guarantee, it shows that the manufacturers are sure of their product. With such assurance, the clients are allowed to return this product if not satisfied. That is a good sign of grabbing it and testing it to your satisfaction.
- ID fingerprint support; with 10 ID fingerprint protection, it is ideal for any business. Even in a family setup, you can buy and use it. Ten members are allowed to put their fingerprints, thus making it versatile.
- Easy to use; USB fingerprint reader for Windows 10 is easy to use. You plug and play. If your internet is stable, installation is a walk in the park.
- Protection; it has state-of-the-art fingerprint security. With such, you can store your data and logins, and they will be protected. At times we enter long and complicated passwords to avoid our accounts being hacked. But with this product, your passwords are safe.
- Supportive customer care; in case you have a question, you can reach customer care. They will gladly answer all your questions.
- Easy to use
- It is versatile
- The protection is at the par
- It supports OS
- At times it doesn’t load drivers automatically
6. USB Fingerprint Reader, DDSKY Portable Security Key Biometric Fingerprint Scanner
It is one of the most fabulous fingerprint readers that many users trusts. With your Windows devices, you are sure you will open them in the fastest way possible. It has a 360-degree ability meaning you can use it from any angle. The fingerprints match accurately, and you don’t have to put your passwords on all the time. You can save them on the USB Fingerprint Reader, DDSKY, and log in easily whenever you want to use them.
- Log in; it has a unique two-way login capability. You have to choose the one you want to use. If you prefer to decrypt the encrypted file, you only double-click it. Once you click it, a window validation message will pop up. You can either validate through passwords or Windows logins.
- Encryption of files; it is possible to encrypt your data using this fingerprint reader.You can do that byclicking the right mouse, then click on “Smart-ID Encryption.” Then select the file you want to encrypt.
- Lightweight; it is effortless to carry this fingerprint reader. It is flexible and compact, meaning you can use it anywhere. Again, it supports many accounts; thus, you can use it with your family and other business holders. It doesn’t compromise security.
- Scanning technology; boasts of the latest technology. When you place your fingers for a fingerprint, it recognizes them in a super faster manner. That is made possible by the built-in Smart learning algorithm, which has a biometric finger reader.
- It is cheap
- Uses advanced technology
- It is fast
- No manual included
7. Digital Persona 88003-001U.are.u 4500 Reader 70″ Cable
We can classify it as a classic application for desktop PC security, custom applications, and Mobile PCs. You can use it in various places since it is portable and fingerprint scanner for PC free download. If you love working from outside, or in the office or even at home, you can use it.
- Resolution; it has a pixel resolution of 512 dpi.
- Small in size; it doesn’t take much space because it is small. You can have it in offices with limited spaces.
- Reader Size; The reader size ranges from 65 mm x 36 mm x 15.56 mm.
- Compatibility; it is compatible with USB 1.0,1.1 & 2.0. Interestingly, it doesn’t need any software to operate.
- Construction; it has fantastic construction details. Stealing it is hard since it has a metal casing.
- Lighting; the LED lights are blue and bring out that relaxed feeling.
- This has LED lights
- It is portable
- It is safe to use
- It doesn’t come with CD
- It doesn’t come with software or manuals
8. Verifi P5100 Premium Metal USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows 10
Verifi P5100 is compatible with Windows 10. It allows biometric identification of all users. As long as they are sharing the network, they are good to go. The ability to carry out this function makes it the best USB fingerprint reader in this field.
- Application; it is incredible when you have a pool of workers, and this fingerprint can accommodate all of them. Allowing more than one individual user, it has biometric data that can identify every member. The sensing area is around 12.8mm x18mm. That is enough data to serve many users.
- Fingerprint Sensor; it has a fantastic fingerprint sensor with one of the giant silicon sensors in today’s market. That gives you an excellent fast fingerprint ability to get your work done efficiently.
- Sign-on capabilities; It saves passwords, so you don’t have to remember all of them. Once you feed it with your passwords and your personal information, then you can rest free. Every time you log in, it remembers them and opens up.
- ESD Suppression; you get ESD protection while using this fingerprint reader. ESD suppression components are installed in this Fingerprint reader.
- It is easy to install
- It is easy to use
- Fingerprint reader
- It’s a bit costly
9. TNP Nano USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows 10 Hello
TNP Nano USB Fingerprint Reader is one of the readers that doesn’t require any drivers. It sounds excellent because installing those drivers at times is a pain in the neck. When it comes to Nano, you can store all the usernames and passwords to use every time you sign in.
- Accuracy; TNP gets smarter with every usage. It is one of the fingerprint readers that stores new details all the time. It scans data that you add to the profile after every use. That eliminates time-wasting and encourages fast access.
- Registration; you can have five fingerprint registration. That is fantastic because if you have several people in the office, you can use it. It supports 360 degrees in all directions. That means it is accurate and fast.
- Lightweight; due to its small size, Nano is portable. Even if you have a small space, you can use it comfortably.
- Encryption; You can encrypt your files by taking advantage of its Smart ID Encryption. The process is easy and painless. Just identify the folder you want to encrypt and copy it to the folder. Once you do that, every time you use it, folders get encrypted automatically.
- It is fast
- It is easy to use
- Set up is done easily
- At times it takes time to recognize fingerprints
10. SEKC USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows 10 Hello
SEKC USB is compatible with Windows 10 and 7, 8 as long as they have hello features. The SEKC is easy to use, allowing you to access it from all angles. The 360 degrees ability makes it friendly. If your laptop has a fingerprint reader Windows 7, you are good to go.
- Support many sites; you can log in from different sites, and you find a match for that. The SEKC USB fingerprint reader supports one hundred and twelve sites. They include eBay, YouTube, Facebook, Google, etc.
- Fast; within 0.05 seconds, your fingerprints are authenticated. That means it is very fast.
- Secure; it is secure to sign in without any worries. With the smart learning algorithm and detention, you are sure your documents are safe. It is hard to break in if you are an intruder, so it minimizes theft.
- Languages; it supports several languages away from English. If you are in Japan, German, Korea, China, Vietnam and understand those languages, you can use them. Thus it has an automated language detection system.
- Protection; it boasts of an advanced guard. That is because it has a state-of-the-art security device that protects your data. Even the logins are protected, and you don’t fear malicious people interfering with your documents.
- It is fast
- Easy to use
- It is safe and secure
- It promotes several languages
- The finding of drivers is a bit difficult
Best USB Fingerprint Reader Buying Guide
When you go shopping for the Best USB fingerprint reader, you need to have some guidance. There are many available on the market today. They are all operational and functional in the roles they play. But what defines what you have to choose. Let’s discuss some of the things to look out for when shopping for fingerprint readers.
When buying a fingerprint reader, you need to consider your budget. But again, you might be having a reasonable budget and pick the highly-priced in the market. One thing for sure is that it doesn’t matter what price tag a fingerprint reader is put on. At times you may find some good and functional ones that work wonders. Consider your budget but make a wise decision.
The faster the scanning fingerprint reader can scan, the better. But apart from that, you need to look at the accuracy. Does it give you accurate results? At times these readers give us wrong information. It is true because there are instances where you have to re-do the whole thing. It is considered that the readers with low rates are the best. But do your research and get that guarantees excellent accuracy.
How Responsive is the Fingerprint Reader?
It is equally important to consider this factor. Scanning of fingerprints varies from one finger to another. For example, you will get that at times your fingers are wet or oily. Other times, an older person uses the reader, and it is obvious the fingers are old. How does the fingerprint reader behave? It should be able to recognize fingers no matter their state.
It should be compatible with the printer. An easy-to-use fingerprint reader is perfect. It doesn’t give you loads of trouble, especially when scanning your information. Get the one that can go well with your printers to ease your work.
How Do I Connect My Fingerprint Scanner to My Computer?
Here is how;
Connecting your fingerprint scanner to the computer is an easy task. As you are aware, some laptops come with a preinstalled fingerprint reader. But if yours doesn’t have one, you have to buy a USB fingerprint reader to add extra protection. After all, it would help if you had your work protected from malicious users. We are going to take you to a step-to-step demo on how to do it.
Before we proceed, make sure you create your pin. Creating a pin is crucial because you will be asked to produce your pin if anything goes wrong.
Let us set up our Windows 10
If you are using Windows 10, follow these steps;
- First, you need to connect your fingerprint reader to a USB port.
- Next, go to the setting icon and click on it.
- You will be taken into account. Open that icon.
- Then the Sign-in option will be displayed. Go ahead and sign in.
- After that, you will realize that the sensor will be detected. If that is the case, you will get a notification directing you to sign in. Click it and then click on the setup button.
- From there, you will get a welcoming note. At the bottom, you will see a “Get Started” option. Click on it.
- Again, you will get a notification that says, “Windows Hello Setup.” If you have done everything right, you should be able to get that notification.
- Now, you can put your finger on it and let the setup complete. At this point, you need to give it some time.
Once you are through with that process, you should be able to sign in with your fingerprints. You can log out and try. If you wish to add more fingers, go ahead.
What is a fingerprint reader on a laptop?
A fingerprint reader is used to protect your information on a laptop. It uses biometric technology, which ensures your data are secure. How does it work? It recognizes your unique features, and in this case, it’s your fingers. During the set up you are required to use your finger to set up the login details. Once it captures that, those are the details; it will be used to start up.
These are a few things you need to know about fingerprint readers;
- Some computers come with inbuilt fingerprint readers. However, if you don’t have one, you can buy USB fingerprint readers and still enjoy your privacy. These USB fingerprints are available at different prices. They also come with a manual that will help you set up. You can pick the one within your budget.
- There are some readers that you can swipe and log in. Others, you must use your fingerprint to log in. They also store passwords, so you don’t have to put in details all the time. Your personal information is also well protected. Another person whose fingerprints are not registered cannot access your document.
- Some allow multiple users. If you are a family or a company that wishes to have a fingerprint reader, you can invest in such.
Q: How Do I Install a Fingerprint Reader?
A: Here is how
- The first thing is to install the drivers. Use the disc that comes along with the manual.
- Next, you should run the installer
- After that plug in the fingerprint reader
- Instructions will pop up. Follow them
- Take your reader and place it on a flat surface. Maybe on the top of the desk.
- Now you can start registering your fingerprints
- After that, sign in using the fingerprint sensor
Q: What are the Disadvantages of Fingerprint Identification?
- Not everyone can use fingerprint readers. The older generation and people who engage in manual work are disadvantaged. That is because the device finds it hard to capture their fingerprints.
- The cost of running the device is a bit high. That means if you have a small organization, it is hard to maintain the fingerprint reader.
- Just like any other machine, they also malfunction at times. That can cause inconveniences to the users.
A: Not really. Fingerprint IDs are good, but they are not entirely safe. When entering your password information, you are required to use a strong password. Cybercriminals are known to use thermal fingerprint scanning. They can locate the fingerprint that has been pressed and use that to open your device. However, once the biometric data is lost, forget about it. It can be used somewhere else without your knowledge.
Q: Why is the Windows Hello Fingerprint Not Working?
A: What to do;
- Consider installing updates manually.
Follow these steps;
- Open settings.
- Then go to update and security. There you will get a Windows update.
- Install the updates and restart your laptop.
- Open the troubleshooter and run the hardware.
- Go to start, then setting,
- Update and Security and then Troubleshoot.
- Consider resetting the fingerprint options.
- Start then setting
- Next account
- Sign in
- Remove the fingerprint and sign in again.
Q: What is Palm Rest with a Fingerprint Reader?
A: When you use a scanner, once you put your fingerprint, it recognizes it once you log in. With laptops that have fingerprint readers, their sensors are attached to the palm rest FRU. So in case, the fingerprint reader gets destroyed, it is easy to replace the palm rest. However, the process of replacing it doesn’t differ from the ones without the inbuilt fingerprint readers.
We all need the best USB fingerprint reader in our businesses today. Most of us deal with sensitive information that needs to be protected. The above fingerprint readers that we have reviewed are amazing. They not only protect your information, but they are secure.
They are easy to use, and their pricing is not exaggerated. Considering the roles they play, they are worth every coin. All you need is to go through the list and highlight what you want to have. Take your time and do your due diligence. As always, happy shopping.