In this era, technology is taking over everything, including pens and papers. Most people opt for the best digital notepad because it allows one to write and draw without ink mess or paper tearing. Thanks to the erasing function, you can edit your work as many times as you want without replacing it.
Amazingly, a digital notepad supports all kinds of writing, including drawings, text, and arithmetic. Besides, you can carry the device anywhere due to its lightweight and sleek design. With this digital notepad, you don’t need to bother about dropping pages. The unit allows you to save your work in a single location, and you can also back it up with cloud services.
In this article, we’ll review the 12 best Digital Notepads that give you a great drawing and writing experience. You will also find some features you need to consider to get the best digital notepad.
Let’s get started.
Our Favorite Digital Notepad
12 Best Digital Notepad Reviews- 2021
XP-PEN artist, made by XP, is the best digital notepad with a pen you can always entrust for your bucks. It delivers accurate strokes when sketching, painting, or making quick scribbles for your work or class notes.
XP-PEN is a perfect way to jumpstart your creative journey as it allows you to draw graphics, create animation, edit your photos, and transfer them to your laptop. You must connect this device to another secondary device for it to work. XP-PEN is compatible with any windows, Mac 10.10 or later, or even the latest android devices.
XP-PEN Artist 12 is the latest series in the brand’s stores. It allows you to enjoy an 11.6 HD IPS display with a 1920 x 1080 screen for an immersive experience. The brand also incorporated color gamut, extreme details, and vibrant artwork for a top-of-the-edge screen resolution.
Additionally, the screen has anti-reflective features with a screen protector to prevent it from breaking when the device falls. The stylus pen is battery-free and made with the traditional pencil hexagonal design for a more comfortable grip and high efficiency. Choose this pen for all your Zoom, Twitch, ezTalks, Scribbiar, WizIQ, and Xsplit presentations, and you’ll never regret it.
- 11.6 inches fully –laminated display: the unit’s display protects your eyes and offers a great work experience with virtually no parallax. Besides, it has 920 x 1080 PX resolutions and a 178° viewing angle to ensure you experience minimum reflection while working.
- Compact and portable: it features 14.3 x 8.6 x 0.3 inches, enhancing its portability, and can fit anywhere. Additionally, it makes it convenient to work with this pen display.
- Programmable hotkeys: you can customize your keys with shortcuts to make your work more comfortable and simple. Plus, you can also use a touch bar.
- Battery-free stylus: it features a pen made of plastic material that is smooth for better grip. It also has an eraser tip.
- It comes with an HD display
- Programmable hotkeys
- Compact and portable
- It has a warranty
- It is equipped with a hexagonal battery-less pen
- The tablet has a USB type C port.
- Non-intuitive writing connections
- The C port tend to be fragile
2. Best Graphics Drawing: Wacom Intuos Wireless Tablet
It’s hard to come by any complaint about Wacom tablets, and for a good reason. This brand makes drop-dead gorgeous machines with a sleek, sturdy build for a premium feel. Wacom Intuos is a wireless drawing tablet device made with those who want to create highly detailed drawings and paintings in their mind.
It is also equipped with a photo editor that features every quality you may be looking for in a canvas. Once done with your graphics, it allows you to import and export all your work in the form of notes, doodles, ebooks, and pdfs, using a Bluetooth connection.
Wacom Intuos is compatible with any latest model of Chrome OS, Mac and Windows, Smartphones, and Tablets. Your writing board is not limited to space as it features a compact 6.0 x 3.7-inch workstation that is easy to use with both left and right hands.
What’s more, the display is sun-light friendly with an eye-protection to prevent strain when used for a long duration. And since you can add your cloud accounts to the device, the device auto-synchronizes and stores any finished work to the cloud, so you don’t lose it.
- Programmable keys: the tablet features shortcut keys that make work fast and quick and save you a lot of time searching for applications. It has four customizable express keys.
- Small and compact: thanks to its small and compact size, it is easy for you to carry with you anywhere. You don’t have to worry about limited workspace because it is designed to fit small places.
- Bluetooth: the device comes with a built-in Bluetooth feature allowing you to share your work easily or watch it on a desktop screen.
- The device comes with a guide
- The product has 3 replaceable pen nibs
- It gives a smooth drawing experience for beginners
- It has a large drawing area
- Compact and portable
- The tablet doesn’t support multi-touch
- It comes in 2 colors
The third in our list of digital notepad reviews is another exemplary device by Wacom. As you’d expect, this device is not only a leader in drawing but also does a good job creating expertly detailed graphics and paints. Wacom DTC133WOA is the device you need to make your animation dream come to life.
Its software is intuitive with the lowest learning curve, making it an ideal bet for beginners or kids looking to start their design journey. This device only weighs 120grams. With its sleek 0.57inch width, it falls in the category of ultra-lightweight devices you can use anywhere.
Wacom DTC133WOA includes a roomy 13.3″ display that will let you interact with your creations and bring your imagination to fruition. The package also consists of a battery-free pen that looks and feels like your typical byro. But the bliss of using the pen lies in its software that lets you use multiple brushes and other pens with just one physical pen.
This way, you can draw graphics, edit videos or photos, annotate documents, delete, edit, and share your work with other computing devices. For a full package of what this tablet offers, register to Wacom’s website for interactive and compatible software after you’ve made your purchase.
- Digital pen: the device is designed with a digital pen to complement your creative drawing. It also comes with other features required to do your writing and drawings easily and quickly.
- Free software: unlike other tablets, this unit comes with free software. You can enjoy 6 months of Adobe Fresco for painting and drawing. Additionally, it has a Bamboo paper Pro app great for sketching and drawing.
- 13.3-inch display: thanks to the large area, which makes your drawing and editing easy. With this model, you can draw diagrams, capture ideas and create mind-maps.
- High-quality display
- Easy to use
- It features an adjustable stand
- It comes with a digital pen
- The screen doesn’t have buttons
4. Best Ultrathin Digital: XP-PEN Deco Pro Graphics Drawing Tablet
Deco Pro is a hot contender in the XP series and among the premium digital paper tablets in the market. If you’ve ever thought about using an ultra-thin digital notepad or used one before, you might be amazed at what this tablet has in store. It weighs only 2.86 pounds and features a width of 0.28 inches.
The body is spread in an 11.7 x 7 inches dimension with an 11 x 6 working area to achieve its functionality. Covering the body is an aluminum casing that is equally as thin as 7 mm. It clicks all the sleek edges and high-compact visual appeal you may be looking for in your new digital pad from the outlooks.
At the left side of the body is a roller pane that allows you to draw detailed graphics of your choice manually. Alternatively, you can use the highly sensitive pen it comes within its package for more visual heft. XP-Pen deco uses a 60-degree tilt function, providing you with accurate and precise control by simply tilting your hand. Coupled with pressure sensitivity, you can make smooth and fluid transitions between the lines. It also gives you the natural ability to shade your graphics to your heart’s desires.
- It comes with a stylus: the stylus has a matte feel allowing you to hold the pen comfortably. Thanks to its ergonomic design, which makes it fit in your hand without difficulty.
- Compatibility: the unit is compatible with Windows and Mac, allowing you to get the best results. It also has digital drawing applications like Adobe Photoshop, Painter, CorelDraw, clip studio, and many more, making you work with the device quickly.
- Wide working area: the tablet offers ample space to paint and draw comfortably. It works best for artists and professionals.
- It features a wide working area
- It comes with a pen holder with extra nibs
- Wireless and battery-free pen
- It comes with an anti-fouling drawing glove
- It doesn’t feature type –c adapter
- No stand
- It is not iPad and iPhone compatible
X-pen Star05 comes at a price that strikes the best bargain should you consider the whole package of premium features it includes. To start with, you’ve got the option of choosing between wireless and wired connectivity using Bluetooth or USB connection.
This utilitarian device is compatible with Windows 7 or latest, Mac 10.10 or latest, Chromebooks, and the latest models of androids and Apple cell phones. It also allows you to work with other design tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Paint, Clip Studio, and a lot more. You can create your designs effortlessly, manipulate their graphics, store them, and share your final artwork anytime you intend.
Star 05 uses a battery-powered stylus pen that is rechargeable. While the device itself also uses a lithium battery that is also rechargeable and usable in remote areas away from the grid. A single charge should last you 24 hours. That is if you’re writing notes, doing paint jobs, and drawing artwork. You will also love its simple touch-sensitive shortcut keys at one of its margins that enable easy use.
- 6 touch shortcuts keys: you can customize the keys by doing your writing and drawings easily and quickly. You can copy and paste with these keys.
- Battery-free pen: the tablet has a stylus with the pressure sensitivity of 8192 levels. You don’t need to charge it, and you can effortlessly write and draw.
- USB: with this drawing tablet, you can take notes by plugging the receiver into your computer. It has a great range as it can connect up to a 2.4 GHz band of signals.
- Battery-less stylus
- Wireless option
- It has 6 shortcuts, all touch-sensitive keys
- Its drawing area is 8*5 inches
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
- Great for beginners
- It cannot be used with other drawing software
- Pressure sensitivity to work with other software
6. Best Glare-Free Touchscreen Display: reMarkable – The Paper Tablet
The reviews are in, and this clutter-free, compact, durable, and sleek digital electronic sketchbook is not worth a pass. What’s most appealing about the paper tablet 10.3″ is its low learning curve. It’s free from too complex graphics and navigation buttons you’ll ever find in your typical device.
Instead, It prides a simple paper-like working surface with grids or single lines that almost equals the regular paper. You can read, draw, sketch, and shade within the grids just the same way you could do on your traditional notebook.
As a cherry top, the tablet leverages the power of the Canvas display with buttons for delete, print, store, and share. reMarkable makes a sleeve for this device; however, the package does not come with one. You can check online for the sleeve. Alternatively, you can buy one at your local store if you mind about protecting this crucial device against drops of water or breakage.
- Multifunctional device: you can use this tablet for taking notes, reading books, and sketching. You don’t need any printouts or notebooks to write or draw.
- Canvas display: this reMarkable tablet has 226 DPI resolution that makes the reading and writing experience comfortable.
- Additional features: it features other pen tips and a free charging cable, making it convenient for use. You don’t need to worry about low battery.
- Perfect for drawing
- Compact and sleek design
7. Best E Ink Notepad: BOOX Note Air 10.3 ePaper
BOOX Note Air 10.3 is a great mix of classic and modern high-tech features worth every dime. It lets you physically write notes, sketch advanced drawings, paint, store, and share any artwork of your desire at the press of a tab. This tablet isn’t thick; the body is 5.8mm thin, allowing you to grasp it effortlessly just as you would grab your paper.
To start writing, plug the device into the grid and connect it to your laptop device. It is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Apple devices. Use either the monitor pen or a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard to write texts of your choice.
This device comes with an intuitive 10.3” Carta screen with lens covers for an immersive experience. The resolution is 1872 x 1404 (227dpi), with an eye-protection feature for long hours of use. To make your work effortless, Boox note Air comes with a pressure-sensitive pen that uses capacitive touch.
The device only weighs 420g and uses Android 10 with a Ram of 3Gb and ROM of 32GB. It connects to WIFI and can produce images of any format.
- 10.3-inch display: the tablet has a large display with a resolution of 1872 x 1404 pixels. It offers an extraordinary viewing experience. In addition, it is ideal for students and working professionals.
- Wireless connectivity: the product is designed with the latest Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, making it easy to download.
- Octa-core processor: thanks to the octa-core processor responsible for the quick response and fast performance. It also facilitates smooth multitasking because it comes with 32 storage spaces.
- Wireless connectivity
- It comes with a user-friendly touch screen
- You can use it at night and day
- Facilitates smooth multitasking
- Short battery life
8. Best Full-Laminated: HUION Kamvas Pro Drawing Monitor
If a simple ePaper isn’t your thing, HUION Kamvas Pro 12 will answer your pressing needs. It simply takes the design and even weight of the thinnest tablet you can find in the market. At a glance, you may think that it is another multifunctional tablet, only to be surprised by its intuitive and easy-to-use features. Well, this device connects to other computers using a Bluetooth connection or HDMI cable.
This notebook tablet is compatible with windows 7 or latest, mac 10.12 or latest, Chromebooks, and Android or Apple phones. HUION Kamvas Pro12 offers a dynamic user experience that leverages a battery-free stylus pen; a 60-degrees tilt function, 10-mm height sensing function, 178-degrees wide viewing angle, and 1920x 1080 HD drawing monitor.
The screen is fine, detailed, brilliant, and crisp. You don’t need an eye protector since the graphics include 16.7million colors imagery and 120% RGB gamut. There are a touch bar and 4-express keys at the base that enable easier navigation when sketching, painting, or zooming images. The middle bottom is an OSD menu that compiles all the features you want in one bag so you won’t confuse their location.
- Laminated anti-glare glass: thanks to the anti-glass, which allows you to draw for a long time without tiring your eyes, and you will feel like you are doing it on paper.
- 4 express keys: the pen has 4 express keys to access different settings and 1 touch bar to zoom in and out.
- Battery-free stylus: the tablet comes with a battery-free stylus with 8192 levels of pen pressure to support up to 60 degrees. You can make more natural pen strokes.
- 11.6-inch size: it has a large area you can use to write and draw. Additionally, you can carry it anywhere you go.
- Compact and portable
- Its screen has laminated anti-glare glass
- It has 4 express keys and 1 touch bar
- Wide working area
- Battery-free stylus
- It doesn’t have a USB-C connection
Royole RoWrite is more than just your regular notebook. It is more of a traditional sketchpad that tunes modern software into the mix for top-of-the-bar functionality. The screen uses sensitive sensors that accurately decode every single stroke from any of its two pressure-sensitive stylus pens.
You can capitate in any required color, stroke thickness, highlights, and opacity in the most natural feel you can ever achieve. Once done, you can import and share the work online or through a USB or Bluetooth connection to any computing device.
RoWrite is made with students, teachers, and graphic designers in mind. Using a smart writing pad, you can instantly sketch, edit, and write down ideas. The app’s advanced features allow you to capture images and videos, store them in PDF or any required format, and share them in your groups or social media platforms. But the reason why artists love this device is its two leather folios that are stylish and efficient when sketching a framework.
- Pressure-responsive pen: the tablet comes with a pen allowing you to write and make sketches on paper and will enable you to share later. Besides, you can easily edit the digital page even when offline.
- Flexible sensor technology: the device is designed with a built-in sensor that tracks each pen stroke, making it a great digital notepad for your work.
- Converts written work to digital text: You don’t have to worry about how to convert your written notes to digital because it ensures easy editing and recording each stroke.
- Stylish design
- Edit and share work easily
- It captures notes and drawings
- Strokes are in different colors or highlights
- It doesn’t have an LCD screen
BOOX Nova3 7.8 ePaper is another premium release by BOOX that graces this digital notepad review for its advanced premium features. Well, if you don’t have a laptop or computing device and you’re looking for an ePaper that will work efficiently with your android cell phone, then here it is.
Not only that, this device runs exclusively on Android 10, making it one of the most secure, intelligent, easy-to-use, and multifunctional devices. BOOX NOVA comes with a 7.8 inch Carta E ink display that leverages the power of 300DPI to achieve a screen resolution of 1872×1404. Not only does it give crisp images, but you also won’t strain your eyes even after using the device a whole day long.
However, the charm of Nova3 can’t go unnoticed. From its sleek edges, compact designs to a lightweight body, it is the device to go for if you have a presentation. By tapping on the screen, a text box and dimensions of your working area will appear.
Touch the pressure-sensitive tip of the pen onto the screen, and you’ll see the device decode every single stroke in your required color temperatures and brightness. Even better, you can navigate the menu button and curate the screen hue of your choice.
- 7.8 inch Carta E Ink display: the tablet comes with a display with 300 dpi and 1872 x 1404 resolutions which prevent eye strain. Thanks to LED-backlit, which ensures comfortable night reading because it delivers adjustable brightness and temperature.
- Wireless connectivity: the unit is designed with Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity to allow you to connect it to Bluetooth earbuds, speakers, and other devices. Besides, it uses USB-C OTG to connect to external storage devices, transferring books, notes, and files.
- Octa-core processor: with the unit, you can smoothly handle all apps because it has an octa-core processor which delivers 30% faster than other devices. For a snappy experience, it also has 3 GB RAM and 32 GB ROM.
- Lightweight and portable
- It features a stylus
- Supports various apps
- It features a 7.8 inch E Ink HD Carta
- Has octa-core processor for fast operation
- Short battery life
- Not water resistance
Samsung Galaxy pads are a force to reckon with for their crystal clear display, screen resolution, sturdy build, and top-of-the-bar functionality. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Digital Pad is not exempted. This device is an all-rounder that will capture, edit and share text, images, and drawings of your choice. It also captures doodle videos in a vivid, vibrant, and crystal clear resolution for your online representation.
New Galaxy 10.1 features a high WQXGA resolution 10.1 inches screen display that will not limit your workspace. It has a 1.9 GHz Samsung Exynos 5420 Quad-Core processor. Using this device, you can capture fluid videos and images, add texts or graphics to them and customize hues before sending.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 connects to WIFI, accepts both USB and Bluetooth connection, and is compatible with Androids, Apple, Windows, Chromebooks, and Mac devices of any latest version. Continuous twists and design tweaks by Samsung have given this device a good feel, as seen on the premium leather cover that comes with detailed hand-stitched for durability.
You will also love its pressure-sensitive S-Pen that enables quick detailed capitation when taking notes or drawing sketches.
- Widgets and shortcuts: the home screen features widgets and shortcuts to allow you to navigate through the tablet quickly. You can access all the apps. With the shortcut bar, you can activate the right side of the screen when the S-pen is removed.
- Large screen: the unit has a wide area with high WQXGA resolution with crystal clear display quality to bring crisp text hence preventing eye strain.
- Full HD: with this tablet, it doesn’t compromise quality. It produces vivid and sharp images and images. Thanks to the full HD connect since it supports any type of content.
- Pressure-sensitive S pen
- It is designed with quality components
- It has a good speaker
- AV remote
- Cutting edge fast CPU
- It does not have a quality resolution display
12. Best Artcraft Tracing: Adesso CyberPad P2 LED Light Pad
If you find yourself with a bit more money to splurge, Adesso Cyberpad P2 will guarantee the best value for your buck. This device shares the same DNA as most of the Samsung Galaxy digital writing pads in the market, and it’s an impressive choice with a couple of features that are worth your attention. What sets this device apart is its paper-thin body.
The A-4 ultra-thin tracer only measures a few mm thick hence guaranteeing the feeling of working on your regular paper. For sketching or animation decoding, the tracer uses X-ray stenciling features, making sure that you click every single detail you desire. Coupled with the lightbox, this cyber pad makes the best choice for professional artists.
The larger size of Adesso Cyberpad also gives you a USB port for connecting to tertiary devices and power banks. A protective eye film covers the HD screen to form three layers that evenly distribute soft LED light to minimize eye strain. You can as well adjust the screen resolution and brightness when doing tasks that span hours. The best part, you can charge this device from an electric source, making it an efficient option for remote use.
- Stylish and functionality: the notepad is constructed from quality material. Plus, it comes equipped with a pen to ensure excellent writing and drawing. The device is ideal for beginners looking for a simple way to write their notes in terms of functionality.
- Easy to use: with its design and controls, you can operate it with ease. Additionally, it has 5 buttons that are located conveniently on the left-hand side of the screen.
- USB connectivity: the tablet comes with a USB cable to allow you to connect your pad to a computer, power bank, and many more.
- Portable and lightweight
- Rechargeable battery
- Great for handwriting recognition
- No SD card slot
- Only two ink refills
Best Digital Notepad Buying Guide
With various notepads in the market, it may be challenging to choose one best for you. First, before settling on a specific notepad, it is necessary to look at several features. Here are several features you need to take into consideration before purchasing a digital notepad.
The first feature to consider is its screen size. Like other devices, the screen comes in various inches allowing you to choose one that suits you best. You need to note that a smaller screen will limit the number of words you can write compared to a larger screen.
You need to know that not all units are compatible with drivers, OS, and other devices. You need to check the specification of each notepad before deciding which one you need. The good thing is, you will be able to transfer text from the tablet to other devices.
Another feature to consider is the design of the digital notepad. It should be comfortable to hold and will not slip anytime. You should be able to operate it while in your hands. Additionally, you should be able to keep it with one hand without getting tired.
When buying a digital tablet, you need to consider one that is lightweight and compact, allowing you to carry it wherever you go. It should feature a slim construction and ultra-light. It will fit in your purse and carry it anywhere.
Make sure you choose a notepad with customizable buttons to do your writing or drawing easily. You will not need to keep switching the mouse or the keyboard. You only need to operate by clicking the buttons.
Most digital notepads allow the users to send and receive data quickly. You need to purchase a notepad that is equipped with Wi-Fi connectivity or Bluetooth. Additionally, the latest digital tablets offer wireless support for cloud services, including OneNote, Google Drive, and more.
Is a digital notepad worth it?
Yes. A digital notepad comes with multiple benefits, including convenience. It allows you to carry with you anywhere due to its lightweight and compact design. You can easily share your notes in various file formats. In addition, you can store your files online.
Is it better to take notes on paper or digital?
Digital note-taking is better than a paper one. This is because digital note-taking is efficient, faster, neater, and more accessible. You can interact with media more directly than notebooks. Plus, it allows you to screenshot, enlarge and snapshot notes easily.
Are written or digital notes better?
Digital notes are easy to edit and fix, search through, and you can backup them in cloud storage and prevent you from losing your work. Plus, you can quickly transfer your data with ease through Bluetooth.
Is taking notes a waste of time?
It depends. If you are copying notes without thinking about what is being said, it is a waste of time. However, if you are actively engaged in what is being said and summarizing notes to remind yourself later, it is not a waste of time.
How do you take good digital notes?
Here are tips for effective digital note-taking: Find a note-taking tool, avoid distractions, and choose a note-taking style that works best for you. Lastly, insert color and images in the text.
In this digital era, you need to get the best digital notepad as a convenient way to take your notes without having to use paper. You can store information in a specific location. The devices mentioned above will deliver a convenient and reliable service. Besides, they are reusable, saving you from buying notebooks all the time.
In addition, you don’t need to worry about which notepad you will buy since the review has a buying guide with all features to consider. Choose one and have a great experience. With all the benefits of this device, it is a great investment for people who frequently make notes.