The best camera for taking pictures of kids will be able to operate in both low light and at night, and will also take high-quality images without being heavy or having a short battery life. Many modern cameras offer excellent photo and video quality in sleek cases that are lightweight.
- 1 Best Camera for Taking Pictures of Kids: 10 Most Popular Models
- 2 Top 10 Best Cameras for Taking Pictures of Kids- Buying Guide
- 2.1 1. Olympus TG-5
- 2.2 2. Panasonic Lumix FZ2500
- 2.3 Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500 4K Point and Shoot Camera, 20X LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.5 Lens, 21.1 Megapixels, 1 Inch High Sensitivity Sensor, 422 10-bit, HDMI Out, DMC-FZ2500 (USA BLACK)
- 2.4 3. Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
- 2.5 Canon PowerShot Digital Camera [G7 X Mark II] with Wi-Fi & NFC, LCD Screen, and 1-Inch Sensor - Black, 100 - 1066C001
- 2.6 4. Fujifilm X-T20
- 2.7 Fujifilm X-T20 Mirrorless Digital Camera w/XF18-55mmF2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Lens-Silver
- 2.8 5. Panasonic LX100
- 2.9 6. Canon G9X
- 2.10 Canon PowerShot G9 X Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom, Built-in Wi-Fi and 3 inch LCD (Black)
- 2.11 7. GoPro HERO5 Black Digital Camera
- 2.12 GoPro Hero5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
- 2.13 8. Canon EOS Rebel T6
- 2.14 9. Nikon D5600
- 2.15 D5600 DX-format Digital SLR Body
- 2.16 10. Sony RX100
- 2.17 Sony RX100 20.2 MP Premium Compact Digital Camera w/ 1-inch sensor, 28-100mm ZEISS zoom lens, 3” LCD
- 3 Kids camera Buyer’s Guide
Best Camera for Taking Pictures of Kids: 10 Most Popular Models
Finding the best camera for taking pictures of kids may seem daunting at first, but the camera world has come a long way regarding durability and family-friendly designs. It is now possible to find several very durable and well-performing cameras at an affordable price.
Our list of cameras includes everything from simple point and shoot styles to more complex and feature-filled DSLR cameras with many accessories. Whatever your style of picture taking is, make sure also to get a camera with video capabilities, so you can capture motion-filled moments with features like HD video and time-lapse.
How We Chose Our Ratings
To find the best camera for taking pictures of kids we scoured several different websites geared towards both parents and camera enthusiasts to find the best features and prices.
We then cross-referenced that information with real-life feedback from buyers who had tried the products in their field with their little ones. We looked at a wide range of feedback from both parents and professionals who had tested the products on our list.
Accuracy and honesty are important to us, so our buying guide also includes brand reputation and any customer service experiences with the company.
Top 10 Best Cameras for Taking Pictures of Kids- Buying Guide
When you are trying to take pictures of your kids you want to be able to capture moments quickly and with high quality. Our list of cameras features options that will take great photos in a variety of lighting conditions and also record video.
1. Olympus TG-5
The Olympus TG-5 features a small hand-held size and is also waterproof so it can go on all of your adventures. The 12-megapixel camera also has a Hi-Speed Image Sensor that makes it better at taking photos in low light environments and helps to reduce the overall noise.
This camera has an attractive red case for easy visibility, but it also comes in black. This device retails for around $450 and also includes a built-in GPS, compass, manometer, and temperature sensor for when you’re outside exploring with the family.
The Olympus TG-5 is waterproof to 50 feet and has a quad-core TruePic processor for super-fast image processing. The 3-inch LCD monitor offers a highly detailed image of what is in the frame, and it’s also dustproof, shockproof up to 7 feet, crushproof, and freezeproof down to 14 degrees.
2. Panasonic Lumix FZ2500
Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500 4K Point and Shoot Camera, 20X LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.5 Lens, 21.1 Megapixels, 1 Inch High Sensitivity Sensor, 422 10-bit, HDMI Out, DMC-FZ2500 (USA BLACK)
- The ideal hybrid camera choice for the advanced 4K video enthusiast and photography enthusiast alike
- Large 1-inch 20.1 Megapixel sensor and bright 20X LEICA VARIO-ELMART F2.8-4.5 lens
- 4K Ultra HD video recording plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus and internal Focus Stacking modes.Operating humidity:10%RH to 80％RH
- “CINELIKE D” and “CINELIKE V” for cinema-like gradation, time code, live HDMI output (4:2:2/8 bit or 4:2:2/10 bit), and lens ND filter controls
- Optional V-Log L upgradability for purchase, and an out of the box unlimited recording duration Weight:Approx. 915g / 2.02 lb (Body only)
The Panasonic Lumix camera is a good option for those that want a DSLR but don’t want a super heavy camera. This camera body weighs in at just 2 pounds, but packs in 4k video capabilities, 20.1 megapixels, and a large flip-out viewing screen.
This camera also has several modes including Cinema style gradients, live HDMI output for Vlogs and other video creation, and time codes. You can also purchase a wide variety of accessories as you can for any DSLR, and many of them allow you to record longer videos, or take more pictures without having to switch batteries or pause recordings.
The Lumix retails for about $998 and also features a lens that is a hybrid suitable for both photos and video. It can focus super-fast compared to the competitors, and also can take macro images as close as 3 centimeters.
3. Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Canon PowerShot Digital Camera [G7 X Mark II] with Wi-Fi & NFC, LCD Screen, and 1-Inch Sensor - Black, 100 - 1066C001
- The advanced video capabilities of the PowerShot G7 X Mark II camera can capture moments in the quality they deserve
- Features a large 1.0 inch, 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that helps capture high quality images and videos with a wide dynamic range. Autofocus system features tile autofocus and manual focus. Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degrees Celsius. Note charging time varies considerably depending on the remaining battery power
- An aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24-100 millimeter), this lens equipped to capture a variety of situations with precision
- High resolution, 3.0 inches LCD monitor that tilts up 180 degrees and down 45 degrees is ideal for self portraits and capturing pictures at high and low angles with ease
- Built in WiFi for on the go convenience and the ability to easily post your images to select social networking and media sites
The Canon PowerShot is a sleek little number that has a compact black body suitable for putting in your purse or a bag when you’re on the go. Just by looking at it you may never guess that it also has the ability to take 20.1-megapixel photos similar to many full-size DSLR, and can also shoot short video clips.
The PowerShot has been around a while and is a favorite for amateur photographers, and a perfect choice for new parents looking to capture moments without all the fuss of making adjustments to the camera first. The PowerShot makes most of the adjustments automatically, but can also be focused manually.
This camera retails for about $650, and you can purchase a number of accessories to suit your needs such as a strap, memory card, battery pack, and other elements to help with video creation.
This camera also has built-in Wi-Fi and the ability to post photos of your choice directly to social media or upload them to the cloud. It also has a 3-inch LCD on the back to ensure you can get a detailed view of what is in the frame before you snap a shot.
4. Fujifilm X-T20
Fujifilm X-T20 Mirrorless Digital Camera w/XF18-55mmF2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Lens-Silver
- 24.3MP X Trans CMOS III APS C sensor with no low pass filter and X Processor Pro
- 5.0Fps Live view shooting, start up time of 0.4sec, shutter time lag of 0.050sec And shooting Interval of 0.25sec
- 3.0 inches tilting Touchscreen panel for operation at almost any angle; Weight (approx) excluding caps and hoods 310 grams
- 4K video using the x series famous film Simulation effects (including ACROS); you can output recorded video to an external monitor via the HDMI port and input audio from an external microphone
- Af c custom settings for moving subjects; Advanced SR AUTO mode; Wireless transmitter: IEEE 802.11b / g / n (standard wireless protocol)
Although the Fujifilm X-T20 is a little on the pricier side, this mirrorless camera can take the same quality pictures as a traditional DSLR, but at a fraction of the size and weight. The Fujifilm X-T20 can take photos as 24.3 megapixels and also has a sophisticated CMOS III APS-C Sensor which makes for great photos even when the lighting isn’t perfect.
This camera also features a 3-inch touchscreen on the back that can flip out and tilt for the best view. The X-T20 also takes 4k video, and you can connect it to an external monitor or microphone.
The Fujifilm X-T20 is also compatible with a range of other accessories, and the classic styling makes it a discrete object to carry around. This camera retails for about $1000, but you can expect to get many years of life out of it.
5. Panasonic LX100
The Panasonic LX100 is part of the well-known LUMIX series and features a mix of automatic and manual controls for your convenience. This camera has an exceptional ability to capture images even in low light, and it can take 4k video.
This camera has a Leica DC zoom lens which allows the user to create a greater depth of field and vary the focus created in each image. The image stabilization is produced by the unique POWER O.I.S (optical image stabilization) technology designed by Panasonic.
This camera retails for $598 and comes in both a base package and a base package with an additional travel package that includes a battery and charger. The charging time for the battery is approximately 190 minutes for a full charge.
6. Canon G9X
Canon PowerShot G9 X Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom, Built-in Wi-Fi and 3 inch LCD (Black)
- 1.0-inch, 20.2 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with Canon's powerful DIGIC 6 Image Processor creates the Canon HS SYSTEM for outstanding low-light performance up to ISO 12800, enhanced image quality and fast operation
- Ultra-slim, lightweight and pocket-size camera with intuitive LCD touch panel that has an improved user interface, which allows for quick and easy setting changes even while taking a picture
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video (60p/30p/24p options) for lifelike images and convenient playback on an HDTV via the HDMI output. Record at up to 60 frames per second for even more detailed, superb results in MP4 format
- Easily transfer images and videos to a compatible smartphone, tablet or Canon Connect Station CS100 device with built-in Wi-Fi and NFC capability, and share on social networking sites or view on an HDTV
- Continuous shooting speeds of up to 6.0 fps helps capture dynamic movements of fast moving subjects
The Canon G9X is another model in the PowerShot line which means that it comes with a smaller sized body and traditional styling but with other useful features. This model retails for about $405 and offers up to 20.2 megapixels and a DIGIC 6 image processor.
The ultra-slim design doesn’t stop this camera from taking high quality 1080p video, and you can export that video via an HDMI outlet. While making a video, you can also choose a frame rate of sixty, thirty, or twenty-four.
This camera also makes transferring media to smartphones, laptops, and other devices easy by using the Canon Connection Station CS100 device that also has built-in wi-fi capabilities so you can share directly to social media.
The G9X also has a “star mode” so you can take picturesque photos of the night sky and capture the stars as you see them.
7. GoPro HERO5 Black Digital Camera
GoPro Hero5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
- Stunning 4k video and 12MP photos in single, burst and time lapse modes charger not included
- Durable by design, Hero5 black is waterproof to 33 feet (10 meter) without a housing
- Additional GoPro Hero5 black features + benefits below on item page time lapse photo intervals: 05, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro
- Note: Check user manual on technical specification and instruction video available before use; audio format: wav
The GoPro HERO 5 is an excellent option for capturing moments when your family is super active, and you need a camera that can keep up with you. GoPro’s HERO 5 can take 4K video, and 12-megapixel photos in different modes:
- Time Lapse
The rechargeable battery is not included with this device, but you can purchase it separately for $15, and it takes standard SD cards which are also inexpensive, but you’ll want to make sure to have a couple on hand.
This camera is also very small and can fit in the palm of your hand, but it’s also waterproof up to 33 feet. This device can also take legitimate time-lapse photos, and there are numerous accessories available so you can take it everywhere you go.
8. Canon EOS Rebel T6
The Canon EOS Rebel is the latest in a long line of DSLR cameras that take excellent photos and good video. It retails for around $521, and you can find SD cards and carrying bags to purchase as well as a host of other accessories.
This DSLR is an excellent option for parents that want to take quality HD video, and this device has a camera with 18 megapixels. The larger monitor on the back makes it easier to see what you are capturing, and the 3-inch screen shows high amounts of detail.
The Canon Camera Connect app also allows you to connect to smartphones and other iOS devices and you can manually control the focus and exposure of every shot.
9. Nikon D5600
D5600 DX-format Digital SLR Body
- 24.2MP DX format CMOS sensor
- Ex peed 4 image processor; approx.; 0.82 x (50 millimeter f/1.4 lens at infinity, 1.0 meter (1))
- 3.2 inches 1.037 meter dot VARI angle touchscreen. Max video clip length: 1920 x 1080: 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Full hd 1080p video recording at 60 fps. Bluetooth version 4.1
- Snap bridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi with NFC
This camera by Nikon is priced at around $595 and can be purchased as a base or with several different lenses. As a true DSLR, you can get pictures with 24.2 megapixels and the customary CMOS sensor for highly detailed shots.
What makes this camera unique is that the screen flips out and angles so that you can capture a range of different shots and still be able to see what is in the frame clearly. This camera also takes 1080p video and can record at 60 frames per second.
The Nikon D5600 has Snap Bridge Bluetooth capabilities and is Wi-Fi enabled for easy video downloads and compatibility with other devices. Videos can be a maximum of 30 minutes long, and additional SD cards can be purchased along with many other accessories online.
10. Sony RX100
- Approximately 20.1 megapixels , Exmor CMOS Sensor, 28-100mm equivalent F/18-49 lens, ISO 125-6400 Expandable ISO 80, 100, and 25,600, 3-Inch LCD screen with 12M dots
- Operating temperature:Approx. 0°C to 40°C (32F° to 104F°).1080p video, Steady-Shot image stabilization,Rear control dial and customizable front control ring
- Burst Mode (shots)-Approx10 fps,(VGA) Moving Image Size -640x480 30fps Approx3Mbps. Flash range:ISO Auto: approximately 0.3 meter to 17.1 meter (W), approximately 0.55 meter to 6.3 meter (T)
- Bright F18 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 36x zoom, Full HD 1080/60p video with manual control and dual record, ,Ultra-slim, sophisticated aluminum body. Extensive features in a sleek camera
- Dimension: 1016 mm x 581 mm x 359 mm, Weight: 213g (75 oz). Exposure Compensation: +/- 3.0 EV, 1/3 EV step
The Sony RX100 is an excellent option for parents that want a smaller camera with big performance options. This camera has 20.1 megapixels and several different sensors to help you take amazing photos without having to make several individual adjustments.
This device is one of the point-and-shoot cameras on our list that combines impressive photo quality with 1080p video capabilities, and Steady Shot image stabilization for on-the-go image captures.
This camera weighs in at 75 ounces which makes it a lighter and smaller alternative to a bulky DSLR, and it retails for $448. You can also purchase this camera as part of two different bundles available that also include a 32G SD card and a carrying case.
Kids camera Buyer’s Guide
When deciding on the best camera for taking pictures of kids, you’ll want to consider the situations that you’ll be using it in and how much you want the camera to do for you automatically, and how much manual adjustment you want to take the time to do.
Many new parents prefer the point and shoot style of the camera because they are inexpensive and allow them to take photos quickly that are automatically in focus and adjusted for the lighting. If you want to adjust your camera each time you take a picture manually, keep in mind that this will take time, but the image quality may be better.
You’ll also want to consider if it’s worth it to get a waterproof camera so you can take it along on family outings worry-free, or if you’re going to take along a more expensive DSLR in order to guarantee better photos.
Some point and shoot cameras will take acceptable pictures in lower lighting, but if you know you’ll be making a lot of photos in low light, it may be worth it to invest in a more expensive DSLR or comparable mirrorless model.
Lastly, few parents consider the size and weight of a camera before purchase, and it’s worth it to consider how you’ll be taking your camera along. Many parents prefer a device that can fit in a diaper bag, which may demand a camera much smaller than the conventional DSLR.
If you are planning to take lots of photos, it’s also worth noting that certain cameras will be heavier than others, and DSLR cameras are especially heavy. However, you can always get a mirrorless version to help save weight and get comparable image capture.